Friday, November 12, 2010

Day One Photos at Troika Music Festival

Birds and Arrows
Birds and Arrows started off the festival in Central Park Thursday night, November 4. Unfortunately, it was very cold and rainy, which might have deterred some of the listeners, but once Andrea starting singing, I completely forget about the numbness in my toes. This is the fourth time I've seen them in eight months, and I'm more and more in love with them every time I see them. She has a commanding, beautiful presence, and always dresses to impress. John, the cellist, adds a perfectly enriching texture to the married duo. My favorite part of this group, however, is the fact that Pete, drummer and husband, sings the higher harmony, and Andrea sings the base melody.


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

Mosadi Music
I had never heard of this group, but they definitely impressed me. I always enjoy bands that mix up genres, like The Beast, and this one mixed it up even better with the lead voice as a female rapper. The background instrumentalists played chill rhythms while she got the crowd hyped up with her fast-paced lyrics.


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

Veelee
I was quite excited to see these guys. This girl/guy duo definitely took me by surprise. I wasn't able to stick around for their whole set so that I could run off to see Midtown Dickens, but what I saw had me bouncing around. I loved watching a female rock out on drums, and I had me captivated with his duo guitar/piano playing.


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

Midtown Dickens
I've been a longtime fan of Midtown Dickens, but this was my first time seeing them live, and man was it worth the wait! I had already been there for five hours, but they made my night worth it. The two females have such unique voices with incredible stage presence that makes them unforgettable. They had a wide array of instruments: acoustic guitar, drums, mandolin, upright bass, banjo, clarinet, accordion, and (my favorite) hand saw. And the best part, after just about every song, they all would change instruments.


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

No comments:

Post a Comment