Monday, January 5, 2009

How To Find Out About Local Music

When I started Local Lunch in the beginning of 2008, I have to admit... I didn't know jack about local music. I knew we had a show called The Local Beat and that our Double Barrel Benefit 5 was going to feature 8 local acts, but that was essentially it. So there I was, half way through January and still struggling to find something that made my show different from all of the other WKNC DJs, and all I knew was that my shift was set in the middle of lunch time, I was hungry, and I needed to plug some of the acts from DBB5. In a nutshell, that is basically how Local Lunch was born.

So now I had a locally themed show, but I still didn't know anything about local music. I asked myself, "What is the best way to learn about the local scene?"; and knew that I had to get in to going to local venues and seeing local acts. Thankfully, DBB5 had 8 local bands who I had been spinning and enjoying for a month. Another long drawn out story later, I was having a great time watching a band called The Future Kings of Nowhere (FKON). And thus how I fell in love with local music and renewed my interest in music in general.

FKON went on to become one of my favorite bands in 2008, and that is why I encourage everyone to go out and explore the local music scene. If you are like how I was, and don't know who to go see or where to go to catch great local bands at; I suggest you check out the WKNC Rock Report. Or find your favorite band for 2009 by attending WKNC's Double Barrel Benefit 6 on Friday and Saturday, February 6th & 7th.

I was once told that "Some of the greatest experiences of life where to be had in places far from home". I hope you will discover, like I did, that such a saying is untrue because of the experiences to be had at some place down the street, rockin' out with bands from down the street.

The Future Kings of Nowhere

No comments:

Post a Comment